Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Free Motion Quilting Designs

The narrow frame around the t-shirts needs quilting designs so I decided to practice a different one in each. The stitching doesn't show much from the front so these photos are from the back. I'm not sure it's any more visible.

These easier ones started it off: loops, hearts, Greek key, and leafy vine.

Designs of loops, hearts, Greek key, and leaves in free-motion quilting
First set of linear free motion quilting designs

There are also some s-curves and circles on the black fabrics. Then I was running out of ideas but remembered Lori Kennedy's blog. I chose to attempt {with varying amounts of success} mistletoe, daisies (with too many petals), basic bow, and paper clip (which looks more like a spiral.)

Second  set of linear free motion quilting designs

This was a good place to try out so many different designs. None of them really show but I entertained myself. Now to finish the wide red sashing and the outer border.

Enjoy the day, Ann

12 comments:

LA Paylor said...

I like this concept. I try out a lot of designs right on a quilt. Like that daisy design.

patty a. said...

The quilting looks great! I think we can be more critical with our noses 8" from the quilt. I am learning just to just let it go!

KaHolly said...

Perfect for practicing and trying something new!

Janie said...

Nice work, very inspiring, thanks for sharing. I like the mistletoe.

Nifty Quilts said...

They all look good to me. You're reminding me that I need to do more fmq practice.

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty. You can't see this at all until your nose touches the quilt. Ha.

Ann said...

Yes. This is a great place to practice, Karen. Nothing really shows.

Ann said...

Mistletoe turned out well for me. Lori has some good instructions but I just glanced over them and "did my own thing." So check her blog to see exactly how she recommends quilting the design.

Ann said...

Isn't that the truth, Lee Ann. I constantly need to practice.

Ann said...

It would have been better with six petals instead of eight. Especially since this section is only 1.5" wide. I'm with you. I try designs on the quilt itself most of the time (and I've always felt a bit lazy.)

Kaja said...

This looks like fun. I love the mistletoe - not one I'd seen before.

Ann said...

That's one from Lori. It seems very linear but I wonder how it would work as a fill across a broader area.