Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Kaleidoscope of Butterflies 17 and Spiderweb Finish

I was sick during the show but finally found a way to take a photo of the entire Spiderweb quilt with decent colors. {The colors are the top are more accurate than those at the bottom.}

Multi-colored spiderwebs on pale blue background with vine applique, toile, and sawtooth borders.
Spiderweb quilt 

Each spiderweb contains fabric in mostly one color. Although there are other scraps, the outer row is a {fairly} uniform color to enhance the shape. They have simple webbed quilting which was actually quite difficult on a home machine in the center of the quilt.

Multi-color spiderwebs with pale blue star background
Spiderweb details

The borders were the most fun. I just let loose with triangles, vines, and cardinals. One sawtooth border wasn't enough. At the top and bottom there's a smaller sawtooth border inside the larger ones.
It makes a good transition from the smaller leaves to the larger triangles. Now I think it looks like fallen leaves.

Mulit-color spiderwebs with pale blue background enhanced with vine applique and sawtooth borders
Border details on Spiderweb quilt

One border mixed toile with vines. Why? There wasn't enough of either background fabric. What a fortuitous event.

Mulit-color spiderwebs with pale blue background enhanced with vine applique and sawtooth borders
Border details on Spiderweb quilt

The final outer triangles were simply outline stitched a quarter-inch from the seam lines in a darker green. The light green used elsewhere was too pale for these stronger colors.


The light green binding with purple dots looks good. There are so many details this quilt needed a very soft binding that almost disappears into the rest of the quilt. But I love the fresh look it adds with its variety of greens and purples.

Sawtooth border and feather quilting details

Just when I thought I was done, I noticed a small cut in one of the border triangles. No idea when it happened - before or after sewing. Fortunately, Stephie at Dawn Chorus Studio sent a scrap of print with some darling birds. I used Lara's method from her book, Crafted Applique,  to prep and sew it over the cut. Shh. It's our little secret.

Applique bird covers a small tear

I started this scrap quilt three years ago. This fall it was finally time to have some fun bordering and quilting. It's one I plan to keep for myself.

Quilt Details
Size: 95" x 99"
Design: Spiderweb
Batting: Mountain Mist Cream Rose 100%cotton
Thread: Aurifil 50/2, Guterman, YLI Invisible Nylon
Quilting: Walking foot and freemotion quilting, various designs

Previous posts:
1. Beginning
2. Working on the center
3. Center finished
4. Choosing a background for applique border
5. Toile and applique border plan
6. Drafting cardinals
7. Applique complete
8. Improv sawtooth border
9. Second sawtooth border
10. First sawtooth border attached
11. Overview of border choices
12. Ditch quilting with invisible thread
13. Outlining the stars
14. Spiderweb quilting 1
15. FMQ in the stars
16. Border quilting


My friend Joni made her own spiderweb quilt in blues and reds. Love the glorious colors and the charming kite with tail. It looks like her niece does, too.

Can you believe the number of caterpillars here? They extended for several yards along the Cumbres-Toltec rail line. I'm not sure if they were trying to migrate south or just emerged from eggs right there. What a swarm. How many will become butterflies? {Or moths.}

Caterpillars along the Cumbres-Toltec rail line


Enjoy the day, Ann

InLinkz linup removed because it was hacked.

30 comments:

Janice Smith said...

They look like gypsy moth caterpillars to me. Unfortunately, they are very destructive and will defoliiate all the trees in that area.

Ann said...

Yuck. That area is already heavily hit by beetles. Soon there won't be any trees left. There were several large groups of the caterpillars up next to the train rails.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Yeeeek! Caterpillars in that quantity are just creepy! I love how the Spiderweb came out--congrats on a wonderful finish! Love the Steampunk quilt too--awesome!

Janie said...

Beautiful scrappy look, Ann. I really like the smaller sawtooth borders. Just right!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I've loved this quilt ever since you first started sharing it with us - what a marvelous finish. Enjoy using your beautiful quilt!

em's scrapbag said...

I love this quilt! All it's scrappy goodness makes my heart sing.

Ann said...

I thought those caterpillars were odd, too - like protoplasm. I'm very pleased with the Spiderweb. It was a joy to make.

Ann said...

I'm glad I added them, and only on two sides. They have more angle variation than the larger triangles.

Ann said...

I like scrap quilts best. It was a challenge to work out the rows and include some applique. Something I've enjoyed but haven't done in years.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A wonderful scrappy quilt, I love it! So much to look at! And I've enjoyed following your progress, glad you are keeping this one!

Mystic Quilter said...

This was worth waiting three years for a finish I reckon! It's just beautiful Ann, you must be thrilled with it.

Ann said...

How very kind of you, Julie. I love these spring/early summer colors and am excited by the borders. But it has been a lot of blogging, I'm glad you enjoyed it, too.

Ann said...

Thanks, Linda. These quilts take quite a while to finish. I'm glad you enjoyed the multiple posts over the years. I'm thrilled to be keeping this one.

Ann said...

What a kind thing to say, Maureen. I am so excited to have done some applique again. Hope to do more in future.

Monica said...

I am so impressed at how you quilt these giants on your DSM! I love that feather pattern in the border. And it is really nice to stand back and see the whole thing. It's a beauty!

patty a. said...

The spiderweb quilt is so beautiful and colorful! It is a delight! Congratulations on getting this one done!

Melody A. said...

What an amazing quilt!!! clicked on the picture from Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting! it is just so cheerful and full of JOY!! Happy Sewing from Iowa

Ann said...

Thank you, Monica. I was absolutely fearless when I stated years ago but find my skills are failing with age. Or perhaps I need to look at the old ones and get back to my style. I'm so glad I finally got a full shot with fairly good colors. So hard to do with large quilts.

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty. It is good to have it done and in use.

Ann said...

Thanks, Melody. The borders were a delight to work out and I love the background color myself.

Mary Marcotte said...

This one is fabulous, Ann! I especially like that you chose to put two borders together that way. I've never thought to do that, but it adds an interesting element to the overall design. I've read several posts about this quilt and have enjoyed seeing your progress. Isn't it interesting how the applique border changes the quilt? I used to do lots of applique borders on my large quilts. It was a way to break up the monotony of piecing so many blocks, but I loved the change partly because I would make things up as I went along...never use a pattern, just play! It looks like that's what you did, too. Love it! The whole thing!

Cathy said...

I'm not usually a border person (especially a plain added fabric border) but I can really see how borders can really enhance a quilt. I love your finished quilt. I have to admit I was scratching my head when you added birds to part of the quilt and then the applique leaves to the other half but I just love that border. One of these days I will have to challenge myself to make a border or two. Seems like it requires a lot of thinking though! Thanks for the inspiration and congrats on a gorgeous spider web.

The caterpillars are gross and I hope to never meet a pile of them!

margaret said...

never seen so many caterpillars the birds will have a feast! Loving the quilt so colourful

audrey said...

I just love the whimsy in this quilt with the varying borders! Once again your stitching enhances the quilt to perfection. I can see that this quilt is tough to photograph, probably that lighter green, but I'm betting it's absolutely wonderful in natural lighting. Thanks for sharing your process!

Ann said...

It was so hard to actually start making the applique border. I've wanted a vine border on some quilt for years. All I had to do was start. And that was the hard part. It does change the quilt. I plan to add applique frequently in future. It does break the monotony of piecing and adds interest to the sides of the bed.
I hope you'll share some of your applique in future.

Ann said...

How kind of your, Cathy. The bird and vine border happened because there wasn't enough of either background fabric to make the entire border.
With all your various blocks I'm sure you can put some together as a fabulous border. And you are such a fast worker you'll have it done by next week. Ha!

Ann said...

They were yucky-looking and now that Janice mentioned how they defoliate trees I hope the birds have a gigantic feast!

Ann said...

Whimsy. That's what I was attempting. Thanks, Audrey. I do need to find places to photograph outside.

Nifty Quilts said...

It's wonderful!! Everything about it is happy. What a nice size for your bed. It's definitely a keeper!!

Ann said...

Thanks, LeeAnn. It is a happy quilt. I'm finding I like these colors because of that. It was good to see you last week; hope you had a great class.